Social Skills Group
JFK Partners is proud to announce our Summer Adolescent Social Skills Group for high functioning adolescents (with verbal fluency) who are in high school, with diagnoses on the autism spectrum . Please consider this great opportunity to work on important social skills and enjoy making friends. Skills to be introduced (based on the goals and priorities of the group):
- Maintaining friendships
- Finding common interests by exchanging information
- Coping with stress related to social situations
- Understanding one’s strengths and ways to build on them
- Making plans
- Entering and exiting conversations between peers
- Handling rejection, teasing and bullying
- Being a good host during get-togethers
- Making Phone Calls, Texting and Email
About the group:
- The group will take place weekly through the summer of 2012.
- Sessions run for 10 weeks on Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- Begins week of June 12, 2012 and ends August 21, 2012 (no group week of July 4th)
- Groups will be 90 minutes long.
- Regular attendance is imperative in order to promote a sense of comfort and continuity among group members. (No more than 2 sessions can be missed in the 10 week program.)
- Payment covers a snack at each session. At the last session, we will have a potluck and the session will last until 6:30 p.m.
Parent Participation Required:
Participation from parents at every session is required. During the first hour of group, group leaders meet with parents in a separate room to discuss ways to assist their teens with social skills and any homework assigned for the week while the teens meet with their group leaders. Parents reunite with teens for the last 30 minutes of group to discuss upcoming homework assignments for the next week.
Ages: 14-18 years old. This group is designed for high-functioning adolescents (with verbal fluency) with diagnoses on the autism spectrum in high school and their parents.
Cost: $80 per week (payable at the beginning of each session by check. Self pay only)
Location: Groups take place at JFK Partners at the Anschutz Medical Campus, 13121 E. 17th Ave., 5th Floor, Aurora, CO 80045. (Near I-225 and Colfax)
Steps for Enrollment:
- Call Lila Kopelioff Kimel at 303-724-4165 to complete a 10-minute phone screening to determine if your teen would benefit from the program.
- Come in (parent and child) for a 30-40 minute intake appointment with one of our clinicians to discuss individual goals and priorities for your child’s treatment (at no additional cost).
- Complete enrollment packet that is mailed to you and return it in order to hold your spot.
- If we feel that your teen is a good fit for group and that this group is a good fit for your teen, you will subsequently receive an enrollment packet.
Questions about the group can be directed to Lila Kopelioff Kimel at 303-724-4165.